1867 – 1933
The mayor who unveiled the memorial to the dead of the First World War.
Thomas Stuchbery, 5-time mayor and successful local solicitor, came from a family which had already contributed much to the life of Maidenhead.
Thomas’ grandfather, also named Thomas, owned the shop which Robert Nicholson came to Maidenhead to work in, learning the skills of brewing before going into the brewery business himself – his son, William, opened the Pineapple Steam Brewery in the town.
And Thomas’ uncle, Robert, landscaped Grenfell Park on land given to the town by William Grenfell.
Thomas senior was disappointed when his son (William) Owen, Thomas’ father, married Jane Thompson, and when Owen died at the age of 46 he sold his business to stop Jane inheriting it. But Jane worked hard and bought the business back, trading under the name of Stuchbery and Thompson. In 1883 she married Alderman Richard Silver.
Thomas, Jane and Owen’s only son, became a solicitor, a JP and a registrar. In 1889 he set up in business as a solicitor at 50 High Street. This business continues today as Stuchbery Stone in Park Street.
Thomas also became mayor of Maidenhead in the aftermath of the First World War, for five consecutive years between 1919 and 1923. One of his duties was to unveil, in 1920, the memorial built to commemorate the men lost in the war – including his own son Arthur Leslie, who was a member of the Royal Berkshire Regiment and was killed on the Somme in 1917, aged 19.
Thomas’ son, Thomas Alan, also served as mayor, in 1953, the year of the Queen’s coronation.