Project Gutenberg has digitised over 60,000 out-of-copyright books. Free-of-charge, you can download these wonderful books to read on a Kindle e-reader or on a computer/tablet in your favourite browser.
Maidenhead Heritage Centre has found 25 books that are of local interest, some fact, some fiction. There are many others that make passing references but these are the main ones available. Click on the links to go to the relevant entry on Project Gutenberg’s website (which open in a new tab). If you find any others, please let us know.
Instructions on how to bring the file onto your Kindle are available on Project Gutenberg’s website.
Other books with no cover images:
- The Faerie Queene, Volume 1 by Edmund Spenser
- The Cruise of the Land-Yacht Wanderer” by Gordon Stables
- The Secret Places of the Heart by H. G. Wells
- The Historic Thames by Hilaire Belloc
- England, Picturesque and Descriptive by Joel Cook
- Christopher Quarles by Percy James Brebner
- The King’s Post by R. C. Tombs
- Boating by W. B. Woodgate