General admission is free. Charges apply to the Grandma Flew Spitfires permanent exhibition and flights on the Spitfire Simulator. This page covers our opening times, how to find Maidenhead Heritage Centre and accessibility information.
Address: Maidenhead Heritage Centre, 18 Park Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 1SL
Telephone: 01628 780555 (from UK)/ +44 1628 780555 (outside UK)
The What3Words app uses these three words to locate us precisely
Maidenhead railway station is just 7 minutes walk away. Buses stop at various places in the town centre; check the timetable links for details.
|London||Train: Every 15 minutes|
|London Heathrow airport||Train: Every 30 minutes, change Hayes & Harlington|
|Bracknell||Bus: (Courtney: 53) 13 per day|
|Henley||Train: Hourly, change Twyford|
|High Wycombe||Bus: (Arriva: 37) Hourly|
|Reading||Train: Every 15 minutes|
|Slough||Train: Every 15 minutes|
|Bus: (First: 4) Every 30 minutes|
|Windsor||Train: Every 15 minutes from Windsor Central, change Slough|
|Bus: (Courtney: 16, 16A) 13 per day|
For SATNAV use SL6 1SL.
The Centre is 5 minutes from M4 Jct8/9. Follow signs to Maidenhead Central via A308. From Windsor driving time is 15-20 mins. The Centre does not have its own car park, but the following public car parks are available (charges apply):
- Grove Road car park – pay and display car park immediately next to the museum.
- Town Hall car park is now permanently closed
- Nicholsons car park: The Broadway, Maidenhead, Berks SL6 1NT. To reach the museum from the car park, do not follow signs to the shop but leave the car park on the street side. Turn left down Broadway, cross Queen Street and at the end of Broadway turn right. The museum is ahead of you on the right. From Maidenhead High Street, turn into Park Street at HSBC Bank.
The ground floor of the Heritage Centre is wheelchair friendly with an accessible toilet. The upstairs ‘Grandma Flew Spitfires’ gallery can be accessed via a lift.
All visitors are greeted by staff on entry, any specific needs are addressed, and guiding is available. Seating is provided for visitors while waiting. Documentation can be offered at desktop height, or on a clipboard.
We are committed to providing maximum access to the collections. Physical access to the collections is as follows:
- Designated handling collections are incorporated in to the formal/informal learning provision
- Supervised object handling is available as part of in-house special events and outreach
- Supervised access to the collections for research purposes is available on request, subject to notice.
Online and curated access is as follows:
- The website
- Social media
- In-house talks programme
- Formal/informal learning provision
- Outreach, events & offsite talks programme.
- Enquiry service.
- In-house ‘drop in’ research facilities.
Please give us some notice if there are any specific needs that you would like us to accommodate.
General admission is free!, and it gives you access to all the exhibitions and services in the ground floor:
- “The Story of Maidenhead” permanent exhibition
- Temporary exhibitions in the Sammes Gallery
- Dressing up for children
- Previous exhibitions and children’s activities on our PC
- Reference library
- Gift shop
The ATA admission gives you access to the ATA exhibition and archive on the first floor. Tickets are valid for repeat visits for 12 months.
- Children under 11: free
- Ages 11-16: £2
- Adults: £3.50
- Concessions: £3
Spitfire flight costs
Have you ever wondered what it is like to fly a Spitfire? The cost below is for instruction & flight time in our Spitfire simulator.
- 30 minutes flight: £20.00 30 minutes is the minimum time recommended for adults and children aged 16+. For younger children (9+) the time can be shared between two ‘pilots’.
The Maidenhead Heritage Centre is a registered charity (Charity number: 1045746). UK taxpayers are welcome to make a Gift Aid donation. By making a Gift Aid donation the government will give us the tax that you have paid, at no cost to yourself; that is 25p for every £1.
Although the Centre does not have a cafe, the town centre (5 minutes walk) has coffee shops, pubs and restaurants.