This fine terra-cotta bust of John Kinghorn Cooper, founder of the Pinkneys Green Brick and Tile Works, has just one on display alongside some of his brick and terracotta products. The bust was sculpted in around 1877 bu Mr Cooper’s son Walter, and erected on Queen Anne House at the bottom of Castle Hill. Salvaged when the house was demolished in 1972, the bust has suffered some damage during 40 years of storage. Thanks to a grant from the AIM Conservation Scheme, it has been restored by specialist conservator Sarah Peek of Brighton.
The decorative roof tiles and finials from Pinkneys Green can be seen on rooftops all over Maidenhead, especially in the Furze Platt conservation area.
Do come in and see this wonderful relic of Maidenhead’s past.
Long serving volunteer Trevor
Jones leaves Maidenhead
Richard Poad (Chairman of the Heritage Centre) is seen here presenting Trevor Jones with a picture and something in a bottle! Trevor moved back to his native Wales on July 15th. Trevor was one of the early people to help get the Heritage Centre off the ground 20 years ago. Thanks for all you have done Trevor. And we wish Trevor all the best back in Wales.